Friday, February 27, 2015

6 monthversary Austin Trip

Hey ya'll!!

I mentioned in my previous post that my husband surprised me with a trip to Austin to celebrate 6 months of marriage and Valentine's Day! We had such an awesome trip. The weather was beautiful and warm compared to Maryland's arctic freeze we've been experiencing this winter! 

On Friday we arrived at about 10:30. We picked up our rental car and headed to the hotel to freshen up. Austin is such a foodie town and boy did we take advantage of that! We went straight to get some fancy grilled cheese sandwiches from a great food truck. It's Lent so we're fasting from meat on Fridays! We were happy to have some delicious grilled cheese! Then we spent the next couple of hours walking around South Congress Ave. This was one of my favorite streets when I was in Austin a few years ago. So I was really happy to be able to see Scott's reaction as well. We went into a boot shop that sold super expensive boots! Some were over $1,500.00! We stopped and had some chips, salsa, queso, and a beer at a little bar. Then we met up with my college roommate, Bethany, and met her boyfriend for dinner. We had dinner at this awesome Mexican restaurant. Scott got shrimp enchiladas and I got fish tacos! They served avocado margaritas! So fun. Then we went out to a few local bars to meet some more of their friends. 

Saturday we slept in, which we never get to do anymore. Having a puppy is like having a baby/toddler. It's certainly getting us ready for that next stage in life :) We met Bethany and her boyfriend for brunch and stuffed ourselves! I got a HUGE chocolate milkshake and sausage gravy with biscuits...yum. Bethany then took us to a look out point where you can see the entire city. It was a bit cloudy but it was such a beautifully warm day! There was a free concert in the city that we went to after the mini hike. We soaked up some rays, listened to good music, and relaxed on the grass. Then we went on a brewery tour at Hops & Grain. Neither of us had been on a brewery (ugh...hate saying that word. you have to say it so slowly!) tour before and it was fun! Then we went out for dinner at Haymaker. Best.Sandwiches.Ev-er. We literally could not move after dinner and decided it was time to go back to the hotel. We snuggled up and watched movies in our big king sized bed!

Sunday we met Bethany and her bf for lunch at Torchy's. Amazing, cheap Tex Mex! Getting hungry just thinking about all this food again! It was a rainy day so the four of us went bowling. I'm pretty terrible at bowling but I still love it! Then we decided to have a Sunday Funday and went bar hopping on 6th Street. We found some fun live music, some terrible live music, and then went to an awesome game bar. We had so much fun! They had giant Jenga. We tried to make it as tall as possible and it ended up being taller than me! We played ski-ball and basketball. It was a blast. Then we ended the night with...more food!! Oh my goshhh best hamburgers ever at Hopdoddy. It's a burger bar set up kind of like a Chipotle. We were again stuffed and went back to the hotel and crashed. 

Monday we were on our own because Bethany, our personal Austin tour guide, had to work :( We drove through University of Texas and just kept driving! Scott and I had a rental car that he hadn't used most of the trip so we decided to burn some gas before we left! We love to drive around and look at houses at home and when we travel. Sometimes we go into open houses of mansions pretending we're interested in buying. So I started looking up the most expensive houses in Austin. We drove to a bunch of houses worth $7,000,000+ it was so wild how big these houses were. Something we noticed were that the houses were all very beautiful and intricately designed. The million dollar/expensive houses in Maryland that we've seen so far are just so boring and boxy. We then got hungry for some BBQ and had lunch at a fun little place in the city. 

Our trip didn't end on a high note but wasn't so terrible. Our flight got delayed 3x and then once we finally boarded the plane they had to de-ice the plane. So we didn't end up getting to Baltimore until about 2AM. We had to go pick up our pups at my mom's house. She had very graciously watched our two little furballs for the weekend. So we didn't get home and settled until after 3AM. Woof. What an end to such a fun trip! 

Many thanks to my great friend Bethany for showing us around and suggesting so many fun places to go. It was so fun seeing her. We only get to see each other about once a year. I really cherish the time we get to spend together reminiscing about our silly college days. 


Austin over-look


GIANT Jenga!

xo, Mrs. Slem


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form


Email *

Message *